The latest versions of WITSML, PRODML, and RESQML with a shared version of Energistics common are now available for download and implementation
SAN FRANCISCO, CA, May 24, 2022 – Today, the Energistics® Consortium, an open consortium designed to help the global upstream oil and gas industry define develop and maintain data standards, published an omnibus release containing the latest versions of its domain standards. These standards support added functionality within each domain, better interoperability, and consistency, as well as providing additional data elements to improve compatibility with the OSDU™ Data Platform.
The standards include:
- WITSML™ v2.1 – for well data and covering workflows for drilling, completion, and intervention
- PRODML™ v2.2 – for data from the reservoir-wellbore boundary to the custody transfer point and covering workflows for production reporting, surveillance, and optimization
- RESQML™ v2.2 – for reservoir and earth modelling data for the reservoir life cycle, including workflows for initial structural interpretation and modelling, reservoir characterization, static and dynamic simulation, and production monitoring
- Energistics common v2.3 – a set of data objects shared by the domain standards for consistency and easier implementation
A release candidate was posted in December 2021 for a three-month public review period. During this time, the standards were available for anyone within the sector to download, review, test, and comment on the content. This review process is critical, as it ultimately ensures the best possible version or the standard was being created and adapted for users, by users, industry-wide.
The domain standards and related documents have now been finalized and are available to download from the Energistics website Standards Download page. To meet the needs of members, the standards are available in two packaging configurations:
- Those with a focus on a single domain (i.e., WITSML, PRODML or RESQML) can download the ML-specific package, each of which includes Energistics common
- Those interested in implementing standards from across domains can download a single package that includes all three domain standards and Energistics common
Additionally, two specifications that form part of the Energistics Common Technical Architecture have been updated. The new versions are published and available in the Energistics common folder of the download file. These are:
- Energistics Identifier Specification v5.0 -a document that describes the syntax and semantics of data object and dataspace identifiers as used within the Energistics family of data transfer standards and the Energistics Transfer Protocol (ETP)
- Energistics Packaging Conventions Specification v1.1 – a document that defines and describes the details of the Energistics Packaging Conventions (EPC); tailored to the Open Packaging Conventions (OPC), a widely used container-file technology that allows multiple types of files to be presented together in a single package similar to a zip file
By providing this omnibus release to business leaders and decision makers within the upstream oil and gas industry, the Energistics Consortium continues to demonstrate its dedication to informing, educating, and supporting all stakeholders with the effective adoption of standards in the pursuit of interoperability, efficiency, and data integrity.